Sir Elton John was hospitalized in intensive care after contracting a “potentially deadly” bacterial infection.
The 70-year old legendary singer apparently got the bacteria while touring in South America and became violently ill on a flight back from Santiago, Chile.
He spent two nights in intensive care and was kept in the hospital before being released home on Saturday, according to his agent.
The infection has been described by experts as “rare” and “potentially deadly”, and all forthcoming concerts have now been cancelled.
In a statement, his agent calmed fears by fans saying: “Thankfully, Elton’s medical team identified this quickly and treated it successfully.
While John seems optimistic about returning to the stage, the infection is quite serious. According to a statement released by the music icon, his doctors have advised that he spend time resting at home, seeing as infections of this type are both “rare and potentially deadly.” Luckily, the singer-songwriter’s medical team identified the infection quickly, which resulted in successful treatment. He is “expected to make a full and complete recovery.”
“I am so fortunate to have the most incredible and loyal fans and apologize for disappointing them,” John said in the statement. “I am extremely grateful to the medical team for their excellence in looking after me so well.”
The singer has canceled his April and May shows at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
A staple on the Las Vegas Strip, John’s “The Million Dollar Piano” residency at Caesars began in 2011 and features the Grammy winner singing and playing the piano amid special effects and massive LED screens. The show will resume in October and run through its final dates in May 2018.
Sir Elton has continued to tour despite reports last year that he was preparing to retire to spend more time with his family. He has two sons, Zachary and Elijah, with husband David Furnish.
In a career spanning half a century, he has sold more than 300 million records as well as dedicating considerable time to charity work.
The Elton John Aids Foundation has raised over $380 million in efforts to stop the disease.
Sir Elton, a Grammy, Oscar and Tony winner for his work in film and theater, is working on a score for a Broadway musical adaptation of the comedy-drama The Devil Wears Prada.
Elton’s full statement:
Elton John “The Million Dollar Piano” performances at Caesars Palace for the months of April/May and Bakersfield, California performance May 6 are cancelled.
We regret to inform you that due to medical reasons, Elton John is forced to cancel his entire performance schedule for the upcoming April/May run of “The Million Dollar Piano” at The Colosseum at Caesars Palace.
Elton is also cancelling his scheduled performance for Bakersfield, California for Saturday May 6.
During a recent, successful tour of South America, Elton contracted a harmful and unusual bacterial infection.
During his return flight home from Santiago, Chile he became violently ill. Upon returning to the UK, Elton’s Doctors admitted him to hospital, where he underwent immediate treatment to remove the infection.
After spending two nights in intensive care followed by an extended stay in hospital, Elton was released from hospital on Saturday, April 22 and is now comfortably resting at home per doctors advice.
Infections of this nature are rare and potentially deadly.
Thankfully, Elton’s medical team identified this quickly and treated it successfully. He is expected to make a full and complete recovery.
Elton will be returning to his schedule of live performances in Twickenham, England on Saturday June 3rd.
Elton John, Caesars Palace and AEG apologise for any inconvenience this causes ticket holders.
“I am so fortunate to have the most incredible and loyal fans and apologise for disappointing them.
“I am extremely grateful to the medical team for their excellence in looking after me so well.” said Elton.
Elton has had several medical issues lately, from the flu to appendicitis.
In December last year, Sir Elton postponed a concert in Dubai twice after falling ill.
However, that rescheduled show was subsequently itself postponed to December 2017.
In December 2015, Sir Elton was pictured in a wheelchair while on a visit to Disneyland with Furnish and Elijah. It was unclear why he was using the wheelchair and there was no statement from his representatives at the time.
In 2013, Sir Elton told The Telegraph that an illness that summer had made him reconsider his approach.
He was forced to cancel a concert at Hyde Park when he was diagnosed with appendicitis requiring immediate surgery.
“I knew I was sick but I didn’t know I had such a dangerous thing inside of me until I had a scan, which was after nine shows, 24 flights and a summer ball. I could have easily died,” he said.
“Of course, your sense of your mortality kicks in. This is a wake-up call. I’m not 36 anymore. I want to write another musical for Broadway and I want to spend more time with my children. I don’t have to tour. I don’t need the money. I just love playing.
“When I had the operation, I said: ‘This has got to stop, this is crazy, why am I doing this?’ I’m a great believer in signs coming to you in life to tell you something. This appendix thing, it’s so lucky I didn’t die. So I’m treating is as a sign in great big letters saying ‘for —-’s sake, get a grip!’”